Sunday, October 17, 2004

End of the salad days

It was finally the end of my home grown tomatoes today.

The vines looked all sad and withered when I opened the greenhouse door. There were a couple of nice toms hanging on but a fair few green ones that the snails had chewed. Time to go, old fellows, I thought. So I started pulling the plants up. By the time I'd finished, there were a couple of pound of decent ripish toms and enough green ones to make some chutney. All the old vines, I'll save for bonfire night, which around here has started already judging by the amount of fireworks going off every night.

Which reminds me.

I'll need to lay in a stock off sweeties for the trick or treater brigade who'll probably start knocking on my door anytime now. Then straight after that the "penny for a guy" kids will turn up, closely followed by the carol singers.

They'll get one of two responses depending on what mood I'm in.

"Can you come back nearer the time," or........

"Bugger off."