Sunday, October 10, 2004

I like what I say and I say what I like.

The title of this post is a well known Yorkshire saying, that most Yorkshire folk would be familiar with, although anyone south of Sheffield (poncy Southerners) might not of heard of it.

So with that in mind I thought I'd translate some common Yorkshire sayings into English for the benefit of anyone who doesn't think keeping ferrets down your trouser leg is normal.

Here is an extract from my local paper and the writer is a man called Mike Shaw.

Jooa Sykes an' me wer aat fer a stroll raand t'village as t'wind started fair whistlin' in t'dooroiles.
(Joe Sykes and myself went for a walk around the village when the wind picked up.)
"Ah tell thee wat,Jooa, it's turned back endish naah awlreight,"Ah sed whale we wer walkin' past t'church.
("It's turned a bit nippy, Joe," I said as we went past the church.)

That's only two paragraphs of the article, but it gives you a flavour of how some folk talk around here, tha knows.

We have a rather eccentric guy called Jake Mangelwurzel who lives not too far away from me who has proclaimed himself the king of Yorkshire. He actually issues Yorkshire passports and knighthoods to genuine Yorkshire people. He changed his name by deed poll to Theo Cupier, because he kept getting letters addressed that way. Now this guy is as Yorkshire as they come. I will have to devote an entire post to Jake sometime, because he's such an interesting fellow.

Enough of these ramblings, I'll come back to it another time, besides which I think my ferret has bit something it shouldn't have!