Sunday, October 03, 2004

Nostalgia

I came over all nostalgic this morning when I was driving to the supermarket and Bend Me,
Shape Me by Amen Corner
came on the radio.

It took me back to the time in my teens when my mates and myself used to go to Atacks disco on a Saturday night. This place didn't allow over 18's in, used to close at 10pm sharp and no alcohol was permitted. All the girls used to dance in the middle, around their handbags, whilst the lads would walk around the edge in a circle, eyeing up the talent. If you spotted a girl you fancied, you wouldn't ask her to dance yourself, your friend would ask her for you.

"My friend fancies you."

"Where is he?"

"Over there by the gents"

"Alright then."

Your mate would come back and say yes, so you would wait until the next dance and go over to her. She would peel away from her friends and the handbags and start dancing.

"My names Fred, what's yours?"

"Mavis."

"Do you come here often, Mavis?" ( OK,OK I was only 15 after all.)

Anyway, you get the picture. You used to hope that she was still dancing with you when the slow dances came on because then you could get your arms around her and you might get a kiss. If you managed to walk her to the bus-stop, you were definitely an item.

Ah, happy days.

I wonder were Mavis is now?