Thursday, October 07, 2004

The Craft Fair

What an utterly soul destroying, mind numbing, pointless exercise the annual school craft fair is. That's if you're a bloke.

Once a year the PTA organize a craft fair, to raise funds for the school my kids go to. And once a year I get roped into going. I don't know, there might be some blokes out there that like going to craft fairs and it's fair to say that I wouldn't mind going to the odd one now and then. Unfortunately, my wife loves them and expects me to feel the same way. Everywhere we've gone this year, there seems to have been a craft fair somewhere. You can be walking down a nice village street in mid-summer and my wife can spot the tiniest of signs declaring, " Craft Fair today- this way." We must have been to zillions of the things this year.

Another peculiar thing about craft fairs are the stalls. They always sell the same stuff, no matter where you are in the country. A bloke etching glass, decoupage, candle stall and aromatherapy to name but a few. I can imagine a little old lady spending all her waking hours making the stuff to go on these stalls.

Oh, I've just remembered why I don't object too much to going.

The cake stall!