Friday, October 08, 2004

Work Experience

From time to time we have schoolkids who come to us for work experience. This placement is part of their curriculum, and how well they do, goes towards their final GCSE marks. It's also supposed to give them a taster of what working life is like. There is a couple with us now.

I sometimes dread them coming into my lab, because we are normally so busy and shortstaffed that I can't show them the ropes as well as I would like. But today was different. A young 15yr old lad came to see me, so I showed him how to put film into the processor. Usually, they take quite a few goes to do it right, but not this lad. He got it spot on first time. There was a lot to pick up and he never missed a thing.

Compare that to a young lass who did work experience with us a few months ago. Talk about short planks being thick, this girl was the original tree. Apart from the fact she was scared her friends might see her and take the mickey, in the 3 hours she was there I don't think she learnt a thing. Completely useless.

It's like that, some off the kid's are like the first example,others like the second.

I bet the lad becomes a doctor or something similar, the girl......

Bound to be a politician!