Thursday, February 10, 2005

Tattooed People

Have you noticed the fashion these days for people to get a tattoo on various parts of their body?

I personally would'nt get one myself, purely because I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to pain, but I have no objections to anyone else having them, especially if they are done well.

We processed a film today and on the prints was a young lad who'd had one done on his arm. The tattoo was four or five Chinese symbols, which seems to be a popular one. I have no idea what the symbols translated into, me not being Chinese, but they were probably something like, " Heart of Gold," or " True Spirit," or suchlike. They would have translated into something meaningful to the person wearing them.

Or would they?

Unless the person getting the tattoo can read Chinese, he/she has only the word of the tattooist.

"Cor, that looks great," he says to the tattooist. "What's it mean?"

"Man of steel," replies the tattooist, "That'll be thirty quid, please."

And the guy walks out of the shop brandishing a permanent message on his body that might say.....

"I'm a gullible twit."

Heres a site you can visit to get your name translated into Chinese.