Sunday, February 13, 2005

Rain stopped play

Well, we made a start on the fencing today. The wife started staining the trellis in the garage. She would have done it outside but there was a cold North Easterly blowing. All the fencing got delivered the other day and was put in the garage for safe keeping. Things like that tend to disappear overnight around here if they're not under lock and key. Everything goes in there. We've been living in this house for around 3 years now and I've yet to get my car in the garage. Once!

Whilst she was cracking on with the staining, I started cleaning the site where the fencing is going. The lad gave me a hand. First job was digging out a Lavatera Rosa. The trunk on this had grown somewhat in the last few years and it was beginning to be a bit invasive. When I cut through it with my saw, the centre was rotten, so it's just as well it was coming out. The roots had gone deep, so it was a bit of a sod to dig out. My lad had his plastic spade that he uses on the beach but he did a fine job of digging. Bless!

After that was out, I was going to dig a small trench and cement a layer of bricks down so that the fence panels had a clean surface to sit on, but just as I was about to start the heavens opened up and dumped a load of rain. It started blowing really hard, so we had to suspend operations for the day.

The forecast for tomorrow looks good, so hopefully we'll get an early start and crack on a bit.

We were all a bit frozen by the time we had cleared up and got back into the house. We soon warmed up with a hot drink whilst we watched the rain running down the windows. The lad noticed that his plastic spade was still laying on the ground, were he'd left it. He wanted me to retrieve it before anyone pinched it. So like all Dads, around the world, I went back out.

Daft are'nt I?

And yes, I do know what day it is tomorrow.....