Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Union Rep-part 3

Having waited for weeks to get a visit from the union area organizer, he finally showed up today.

He was supposed to go through my duties and responsibilities as a union rep, but could only stay 10 minutes because he had to dash off to represent someone at a industrial tribunal. In the short time he was with me, he told me that he's going to send me on a course in Febuary, and promised to come back next Thursday in order to hold a members surgery, and also go through what he should have told me today. Oh well, at least I put a face to the voice I hear on the phone. You never know, by the end of next week, there may be a fair chance I'll know what I'm supposed to do.

The Christmas shoppers are out in force this week. I know that us shopworkers like to get an early start to the festive season, but usually, the customers are a bit sluggish to respond in any numbers. Not so this year. Last Thursday we had a late night opening event and the store was packed. We took a lot more money than a similar event last year. With the crowds come the squabbling customers. They are mortified if you run out of a particular line before Christmas. It won't be long before the customers are fighting over the dwindling stock.

Well worth watching!