Thursday, October 28, 2004

The Pumpkin Lantern

My little girl has been pestering me for a couple of weeks now to buy a pumpkin. I kept putting her off, telling her it was too soon and if we bought it too early it would go off.

Well, last night on a shopping trip to Asda, there was a humongus pile of them as you walked into the store, so we got one. When we got home she wanted to make a lantern there and then, but as it was bedtime, I told her we'd do it tonight.

I was home a bit later than norm from work this evening and as soon as I was through the door she wanted me to get the knife to it straightaway. I made her wait till I'd had my tea and then I tackled the beast.

I sliced the top off and told my girl to scoop out the seeds and flesh. She was still at it half an hour later and boy the mess. She was covered in pumpkin seeds and orange flesh. Nobody told me it was sticky and smelly. The contents of that pumpkin were all over the place. Anyway, after I cut some eyes, a nose and a mouth in it and lit a tea candle inside the thing, it did look quite eerie. My girl wanted to take it to bed with her but we decided against that idea. My wife took her for a bath while I tidied up. I'm finding pumpkin seeds in the most unusual places.

Jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj...... oops sorry, just found one between my letter "J" and "K"