Friday, October 01, 2004

Collecting in the rain

Here it is, Friday night again, and it's chucking it down. Friday night is when I go out on my Provvi round and you can more or less guarantee that it will be raining, especially at this time of year.

I don't know what it is, but my customers always seem to take longer to open their doors when it's raining. You stand on the doorstep, knocking on the door, getting piss wet through, and when they finally open the door, they say, "Ooo, is it raining." As if they didn't know. Then they don't invite you in so you stand at the door, marking up an increasingly wet payment book. Swines!

A customer really pissed me off tonight. She's moved a few miles away from my patch and asked if I would still collect her payments, because she was used to me calling. I agreed and told her I would be there tonight. I duly drove out and called,to find she'd gone to her mothers. So that means another trip out there Monday. What a bugger!

Then there's the one I lent £400 to last week and her neighbor told me tonight that she's gone on holiday to the West Indies for a month. She wouldn't have got the loan, if I knew that last week.

It's a hard life!