Sunday, September 26, 2004

Pear Day

The tribe went to Cannon Hall nr Barnsley today for the annual Pear Day.

In the walled garden they have over 30 varieties of pear trees, and once a year the public are invited in for a tasting session and you can also buy the pears. We walked round the gardens looking at the pears and spotted a sign that said you were allowed to eat the windfalls but not to pick the pears off the trees. There were loads on the ground, so I was well stuffed by the time we got around to were the tasting table was. I politely declined the offer of a taster, but I could have sworn the woman had a knowing look on her face. We bought some anyway.

Doesn't fruit taste a lot better, fresh off the tree. All the pears we tasted didn't taste anything like their supermarket counterparts.

There was also a craft and plant fair as well. My wife can't go past a plant stall without buying anything, so now we've got to find somewhere to put a clematis and a couple of other plants in an already overfilled garden. Oh well, it keeps her happy I suppose.

Anything for a quiet life, just so long as she gets the spade out and not me!