Monday, August 30, 2004

Wuthering Heights

"Heathcliffe, it's me, I'm Kathy, I've come home, I'm so cold, let me in through your window."

A little burst of the song made famous by Kate Bush, which I was humming this afternoon, as we were walking along Penistone Hill, near Haworth.

Home of the Bronte sisters, Haworth village itself is full off tourists nowadays. Plenty of Americans and Japanese for the locals to rip-off. When we used to go there before, we were one of the tourists, but wev'e started exploring the countryside around that area, avoiding the tourist trap.

Everything around this part of the world is called "Bronte" this or "Bronte" that for example, Bronte tea rooms, or Bronte aromatherapy centre, at least the post office is called Haworth post office but give them time.

Our ramble took us to, The Bronte waterfalls. About 3 miles out of Haworth, along a footpath, meandering alongside the moorland. Very picturesque, and well worth the effort. I could just imagine Charlotte Bronte treading the same path we did all those years ago.

We didn't see the ghost of Kathy though.

Only lot's of sheep.