Friday, August 27, 2004

A little xtra in Halifax

The old Victorian market hall in the town where I live was pulled down in the early 70's and a concrete and steel edifice was put up in its place.

I remember the wonderful smells and atmosphere and hustle and bustle of the place, when I was a teenager, not to mention the bargains to be had. The new place is not a patch on it. I hardly ever go in there.

So, you can imagine my surprise and delight when we went shopping in Halifax today and discovered their market hall. It was as if I'd entered a time warp and gone back 40yrs. I've been to Halifax many times in the past but never knew the market existed. It was just like the one that had been pulled down in my town. Same smells, atmosphere and some bargains!
My hat goes off to Calderdale council for keeping it going.

Ironically, there is talk of pulling down the 70's built hall in my town, to make way for a new development. Do they still know how to build Victorian market halls?