Tuesday, August 31, 2004

How the other half live

I was out on my Provvi round tonight, ( see Provvi Man 2nd July 04) when I called at a house, looking for one of my customers. She wasn't in her own place, but I was re-directed next door, where I found her. I was invited into the house and saw my customer and the neighbour with two young kids, engaged in "working from home."

Apparently , what you have to do is put a rubber seal in a socket connector, put a sheaf over that, then screw a nut on to it to hold it all together. They are used in the electrical industry for connecting cables together.

The trouble is , there must have been 5000 of these in a box. I was told that they had been doing this batch all weekend. They'd completed two boxes and was on the last one. The husband of this household was on benefits, and the decor of the house wasn't all that cracky.

So I was a little bit upset when I was told that they only got £9 a box.

A whole weekends work for £27.

How can industry exploit people like this?