Sunday, April 24, 2005

Down the Garden Centre

We were going to have a look around a little town near where we live called Brighouse today, but the wife had better ideas.

When she said, "B&Q are giving 20% off all plants," I knew my wallet was doomed. My wife is dead keen on gardening and I have noticed for the last few weeks that she has been itching to get her bedding plants. So off we went, kids and all.

We soon understood why B&Q were offering a discount on the plants. The specimens we saw were poor and under-watered. They looked on their last legs. We picked up some pansies and bizzie lizzies that looked half decent but hit paydirt when we wandered into the covered area. All the decent stuff was there, waiting in the wings, as it were. The trolley was soon filled. My wife picked up a hydrangia that she fancied, but put it back when she saw the price tag. As it's her birthday on 8th May, I said she could have it as one of her presents. (See, I'm not as tight as people might think!) She thought it would look nice in a pot next to the arbour seat, and it does.
The bedding plants were put in the greenhouse till all frosts are out of the way, then the wife wanted to pot up her birthday present but we needed some compost, so it was down to the garden centre to get some. ( I don't half suffer.) Of course, as well as the compost we ended up buying some more plants including a rose.

When I got home, I hid my wallet.

Just in case.

 Posted by Hello