Thursday, April 21, 2005

Fire, Fire.

The fire klaxon sounds.

"That's the fire alarm," I say. (Well I have got 3 'O' Levels.)

We all make to the exits, collecting customers on the way. Wev'e nearly got everybody out when the tannoy crackles to life.

"This is a customer and staff announcement, the fire alarm sounding now is just a test and should be ignored."

We all try and grab a customer, and persuade them to come back in.

Apparently, there was a man working on the sprinkler system in the store and he needed to test the fire alarm but before the announcement could be made, he pressed the button.

After all the excitement had died down and we were getting on with what we were doing beforehand, the fire klaxon sounded again.

"That's the man testing the fire alarm," I say, stating the obvious. So we stay put and ignore it, hands over ears. (It's very loud is the klaxon.)

All of a sudden, a supervisor comes past and informs us that it's not a test, but the real thing. We get the customers out for a second time. One of the girls guarding the doors, stops a guy trying to enter and explains there is a fire. "But I only wanted to cut through to go to BHS." he said. Nutter!

It was a bit cold outside, but after a while, the all clear is given and we shuffle back into the store. "I'm off to get my coat," I say. " If wer'e going to be in and out all morning I might as well be warm."