Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Great Escape

"She's got to be down here somewhere. Brambles, Brambles, where the hell are you?"

I'd just walked through the door, into the midst of a major panic. "Oh your'e back are you? The bloody hamster's disappeared and we can't find her anywhere," said the wife.

I joined in the hunt. "Have you looked behind the settee?" I asked, as I noticed the little girl crawling out from behind it. She looked just like she did on Saturday night after watching Dr Who. We'd told the kids that when we were little, we used to hide behind the sofa when Dr Who was on because it was scary. They thought that was a good idea, so any opportunity to get behind it and they are there.

"She's not behind there Dad." she said. "Do you think I ought to look behind the armchair?

"No petal, it's bedtime for you two," I replied. "Let your mum take you upstairs for your bath, and I'll carry on looking for Bramble."

"Ohhhh, not bed, we want to find Bramble." they chorused in unison.

"Come on, bed." said the wife, a bit sternly.

Off they tramp, whilst I look behind the armchair. Next minute I hear a shriek. "Dad, dad, wev'e found Bramble under my bed." the lad shouts down. The little thing had managed to climb the stairs without anyone noticing.

Obviously the lure of old crayons and broken pencils under the lads bed, proved too much of a temptation for her.

"There you are girl, solitary confinement for 24 hours." I said to her, as I locked her back into the slammer.

At least she's got some nice dried Hammy-mix to eat and a treadmill for exercise.