Tuesday, September 07, 2004

New phone

I've bought a new mobile for the wife.

I know, you're probably thinking old Fred has gone soft and he's not as tight as people think. Well you'd be wrong.

It all started the other day when she said that it would be handy to have a mobile phone for emergencies and suchlike.

"But you've already got one." said I.

"Do you mean that brick you palmed off on me when you upgraded yours," she replied. "I let the kids play with that, no, I want a nice small one that will fit in my pocket."

Point taken. The phone I'd given her was one of the early ones and did look like a brick, weighed about the same as well. Never mind, I'll have to grin and bear it and unlock the wallet. Breaks my heart, me being a Yorkshireman.

I'd spotted some in the shop I work in and one model, which would suit, retailed at £39.99. With staff discount, I could get it for £35. Well, in my lunch hour I had to go to the post office and on the way I popped into "Phones 4 U", just for a price comparison, and they were selling the same model for £35. The lurking sales assistant approached me and asked if she could help. I said I was interested in this phone but could get it for the same price in the shop I worked.

"I'll knock you a fiver off." she said.

"Done." I replied.

Now all I've got to do is learn how to work it so I can show the wife what to do.

There is one thing though, I've suddenly realized how old my phone is. This new phone has more features than mine and can even connect to the internet and it cost half the price mine was all those years ago.

I think an upgrade is on the cards.

Anybody want to buy a 6 year old phone?