Sunday, August 15, 2004

Fireworks in the park

It's been the big shindig aptly named "The Lark in the Park" weekend at Greenhead, which is just down the road from us. Apart from the usual "burn a hole in your pocket" fairground rides and seedy, smelly,£1.50 for a small cone of chips, so called "burger stalls" there was a wealth of entertainment, at least I think there was, cos we only went for the firework finale.

When we got there, a rather dubious Latin American band were playing on the stage. They were quite good at first, but you can only take so much footie whistles and bongos before you start to crack.

As it got darker the singer was trying to get the crowd doing the samba, but they were having none of it. She was just about to launch into another song, when : KABOOM!: off went the first sky rocket. The band tried to carry on, but the organizors must have pulled the plug, because the stage went in darkness. I still heard a few gallant beats on the bongo, but it was soon silenced, so we turned our attention to the display.

" I dont like the bangs." said my little daughter.

" What did you say, darling?" I replied. " I can't hear you because I've gone deaf with all that bongo drumming!"