Tuesday, July 06, 2004

You can't get quicker than a Kwik- Fit fitter

The car had to go and have its handbrake looked at today. It needed it. I sort of guessed something was wrong when I parked on a steep hill, put the handbrake full on and promptly rolled backwards.
Its appointment was for 1pm sharp. I thought I'd get there 5 minutes early just in case the mechanic was waiting eagerley for my carkeys. A big poster on the entrance, proclaiming, "You can't get quicker than a Kwik-Fit fitter." filled me with confidence that I'd probably be home soon. "How long do you think it will take?" I asked. "bout n 'our" the mechanic replied, "Depending."
That last word he uttered conjured up a lot of expense and time in my mind.
"I'll need two new rear tyres I think, as well."
"Right I'll have a look and give you a price," and with that he disappeared into the bowels of Kwik-Fit.
An hour went by during which I'd seen my car go up on the ramp and the back wheels come off, about three fitters stood round it, scratching their heads.One of them vanished for ten minutes and came back carrying bacon butties. All normal then I thought. A bit more intense work around the back of the car and then the head fitter turned around and walked towards me. This is it I thought bracing myself for the bad news.
" I've had a look and there doesn't seem to be much wrong," he said," just a clean up and a readjustment.The tyres will cost £140 fitted, is that alright?"
"Yes, sure," I said, "how much for the brake."
"Oh, I'll do that for nowt." he said.
I was stunned, something for nothing in a garage. Unheard of in my lifetime.Mind you it took another hour and a half to put the brake back together and two new tyres to be fitted.Two and a half hours from start to finish.Like I say, "You can't get quicker than a Kwik-Fit fitter."
Question- Who buys biro's? I've got quite a few but I can't recall ever buying one.Somebody somewhere must be buying them for the rest of the world. I wouldn't mind meeting him/her just to shake their hand and tell them what a good job they are doing!