Saturday, July 31, 2004

Hawks and Pointers

In order to escape the Blue concert going on at our local stadium, ( I actually asked my kids who Blue were! ) we decided to head in the opposite direction and took ourselves off to the Yorkshire Country Show, being held at Nostell Priory, nr Wakefield.
I must admit, I was grumbling about the £16 entrance fee I had to pay for the four of us, but on hindsight I think we got our money's worth. There was lots of things to do and see including majorettes, dog displays, falconry, showjumping, brass band, horseball display etc but the highlight for me was the Hawks and Pointer presentation. This involved the falconer releasing his hawk to fly and circle in the air thermals 6/700 ft up whilst the setter or pointer flushed out the game, ( in this instance a dummy rabbit. ) then the hawk came swooping down from above at high velocity to catch the lure. Marvellous stuff. There were also plenty of stalls selling anything from aussie hats to overpriced burgers. (£3 .00--ouch!) Kids enjoyed it anyway, especially the KFC on the way home. Little darlings.