Saturday, October 22, 2005

The 18 year escape plan

When I first started working in my current job 18 years ago, I thought at the time that I would only do it for 2 or 3 years and then go onto something different. I beavered away at it and when I paused for breath, 5 years had gone by. So for the next 6 years I started applying for jobs, none of which I got.
The rejection letters piled up and I resigned myself to the fact that I was getting too old for the job market and I would probably retire from the current job in 13 years time.
Then, last month, I got a phone call out of the blue from one of the photo managers at Head Office. My current company was setting up some photolabs to process film from stores that don't have an on-site processing facility, they needed a manager to run it and would I be interested in applying.
After much deliberation I sent my cv off. I didn't think for one minute I'd get the job after my past experiences but at least it was a day out and a free lunch as well.
My worst fears were confirmed when I saw the calibre of the candidates at the selection day. Oh well, give it my best shot, I thought, and make sure I'm first in line for the buffet.
The selection day was at the end of September and I hadn't heard anything since, which made me feel even more that I hadn't got the job, so imagine my surprise when the same manager phoned me up on Thursday offering me the post. I start the new job on 14th November. It had taken so long because, with 14 labs going in they were still interviewing up until Wednesday.
Apparently I had shone through and beaten off some stiff competition. I must admit that I thought I was destined to stay in my current job for a long time yet so I really am chuffed to get this.
I have sent my plan to the store escape commitee and they have approved it.

All I need now is to dig the tunnel.